Please note that all prices shown here are net of VAT @ 20%
So that you can get a reasonable idea of the budget for your loft conversion, the following are approximate prices based on the average loft conversion projects carried out on properties in good condition in recent years.
Please note that every single project is quoted individually, and prices vary according to size, condition of the property, cost of selected materials and so forth.
Example 1: Terraced property loft conversion costs
Typically, this type of property has two gable (vertical) sides and pitched (sloped) front and back roofs.
- Option A: fit Velux roof windows to front and back roof slopes to create a new bedroom, accessed by new stairs positioned above the existing stairs. £27,000 + VAT
- Option B: rear roof slope replaced with full length dormer, front roof slope fitted with two Velux roof windows. The dormer increases the usable loft space and head height to create a new bedroom (with possible en suite), accessed by new stairs positioned above the existing stairs. £30,000 + VAT
Example 2: Hip-ended semi-detached loft conversion costs
Typically, a two-hipped roof, with three sloping elevations (front, back and side), with the adjoining wall being a brick-built gable.
- Option A: side roof slope fitted with access dormer (to accommodate new stairs). Front and back roof slopes fitted with Velux roof windows to create new bedroom with new stairs positioned above existing stairs. £38,000 + VAT
- Option B: side roof slope rebuilt as gable end (vertical). Rear roof slope changed to full length flat roof dormer, front roof slope fitted with two Velux roof windows. the dormer and gable end increase loft space and head height to create new bedroom and en suite, with new stairs positioned above existing stairs. £42,000 + VAT
Example 3: Detached property loft conversion costs
Typically, a four-hipped roof with all four sides pitched (sloping) towards the centre.
- Option A: rear roof slope rebuilt as gable (vertical) end. Side roof slope to have flat roof dormer and Velux roof windows fitted to front roof slope. Gable end dormer increases loft space and head height to create two new bedrooms, with new staircase positioned close to main front door. £45,000 + VAT
- Option B: rear roof slope replaced with full length dormer, front roof slope fitted with two Velux roof windows. The dormer increases the usable loft space and head height to create a new bedroom (with possible en suite), accessed by new stairs positioned above the existing stairs. £42,000 + VAT
What we include in our price
Full survey, working drawings with structural calculations, the Building Inspector’s inspection fee, full Building Regulations approval.
Insulated walls and ceilings
Four double sockets
Three smoke detectors
Two-way light to stairs
One-sized radiator pipes for bathrooms
Plumb in bathroom suites
Carpentry 2nd fix (skirtings, architraves, doors etc)
Traditional staircase made to match existing stair
Hinged access door to floored eaves space
UPVC windows, fascia and soffets
Waste removed from site, leaving the premises clean and tidy
What we do not include in our price
Preparation for decorating and the decorating itself
Existing doors (these may need to be changed to fire doors)
Unsupported chimney stacks (where chimney breasts are removed)
With older properties, there may be areas that will need attention during the course of building your loft room that are impossible to predict at the time of preparing your estimate. The most common problems encountered are:
- Existing roof tiles and lead flashing in bad repair
- Rotten fascias, guttering and down pipes
- Electrical systems that do not meet modern safety standards
- Unstable chimney stacks
Should we encounter any problems of this kind, we will of course notify you immediately and discuss the best course of action and the potential costs involved. We recommend that you make an allowance for such contingencies in your budget when planning the project.
Please contact us to obtain a more accurate estimate of the costs involved in converting your own home.
Click here to contact us to obtain a more accurate estimate of the costs involved in converting your own home, or call 01273 501070 or mobile 07733 700700.
Contact Us for a Free Quote
All Loft Conversions Ltd Registered company No. 5145397 | VAT registration No. 836 8074 04 | Registered office 16 Tongdean Rise, Brighton, BN1 5JG